Shawn Conley, State Soybean and Small Grains Specialist, John Gaska, Outreach Specialist
David Marburger, Graduate Student
Top 7 winter wheat establishment recommendations:
1. Variety selection: please see the 2014 WI Winter Wheat Performance Test
2. Plant new seed (DO NOT plant saved seed).
3. A fungicide seed treatment is recommended for winter wheat in WI.
4. Wheat should be planted 1 inch deep.
5. The target seeding rate for wheat planted from September 15th to October 1st is 1,300,000 to 1,750,000 seeds per acre.
6. The optimal seeding rate for wheat planted after October 1st should be incrementally increased as planting date is delayed to compensate for reduced fall tillering.
7. Crop rotation matters.
To continue reading follow the link below: