Shawn Conley, State Soybean and Small Grains Specialist John Gaska, Outreach Specialist, Damon Smith, State Field Crops Pathology Specialist
Top 8 winter wheat establishment recommendations:
- Variety selection: please see the 2017 WI Winter Wheat Performance Test
Plant new seed (DO NOT plant saved seed).
- A fungicide seed treatment is recommended for winter wheat in WI, especially for seed damaged by Fusarium head blight (FHB)
- Wheat should be planted 1 inch deep.
- The target seeding rate for wheat planted from September 15th to October 1st is 1,300,000 to 1,750,000 seeds per acre.
- The optimal seeding rate for wheat planted after October 1st should be incrementally increased as planting date is delayed to compensate for reduced fall tillering.
- Crop rotation matters.
- Plant between September 20 and October 5
To continue reading the full story with details, view this fact sheet: