Shawn Conley, UWEX Soybean and Small Grains Specialist, John Gaska, Outreach Specialist
Top 7 winter wheat establishment recommendations:
- Variety selection: please see the 2013 WI Winter Wheat Performance Test
- Plant new seed (don’t plant saved seed).
- A fungicide seed treatment is recommended for winter wheat in WI.
- Wheat should be planted 1 inch deep.
- The target seeding rate for wheat planted from September 15th to October 1st is 1,300,000 to 1,600,000 seeds per acre.
- The optimal seeding rate for wheat planted after October 1st should be incrementally increased as planting date is delayed to compensate for reduced fall tillering.
- Crop rotation matters.
To read or print the entire article, click here for the full 5 page PDF version.