Scott Sturgul – NPM Program
Managing Nutrients on Wisconsin Soils is a self-paced seven hour online video workshop designed for agency and industry personnel who desire to have a more in depth knowledge of intermediate to advanced topics in soil fertility and soil management. The learning objectives are to provide individuals with a fundamental understanding of Wisconsin’s nutrient application guidelines, advanced soil fertility management tools, and soil management practices to reduce nutrient loss.
This online video series is available for viewing from May 4 to July 31, 2015. It is presented by the UW-Madison Department of Soil Science and UW-Extension’s Nutrient & Pest Management Program. Featured speakers include: Carrie Laboski, Robert Florence, Matt Ruark, Francisco Arriaga, Kevin McSweeney, Laura Ward Good, Haily Henderson, and Scott Sturgul.
- Soils and landscapes of Wis. and their influence on nutrient loss
- Understanding soil groups and soil yield potential
- Phosphorus (P) and potassium (K) recommendations & management
- Manure and legume nutrient credits
- Liming: keystone to soil fertility
- Nitrogen (N) rate guidelines for profitable crop production
- Soil nitrate testing
- Understanding N stabilizers/extenders
- Crop canopy reflectance as an in-season N management tool
- Assessing potential for N loss after exercise rainfall
- Secondary and micronutrients
- Starter fertilizers as part of a nutrient management plan
- Uses and limitations of plant analysis
- Use and limitations of the end-of-season stalk nitrate test
- Soil management practices and their impact on nutrient loss
- Soil management practices in RUSLE2
- Using the Wisconsin phosphorus index
- Cover crops & nutrient management
- Tile drainage & nutrient management
A brochure for Managing Nutrients on Wisconsin Soils can be found here: https://ipcm.wisc.edu/download/ManagingWISoilsWebinar_2015.pdf.
Registration for viewing the video series is required for each participant and the fee is $100 per person. Registration is open now and will close on July 1. Interested participants can register at: https://patstore.wisc.edu/npm/register.aspx. A credit card is the only acceptable form of payment on this website. A confirmation email that will include viewing instructions will be sent to each participant. For questions on registration contact Scott Sturgul (firstname.lastname@example.org, 608-262-7486). For questions about program content contact Carrie Laboski (email@example.com, 608-263-2795). Please note: You must be able to access YouTube in order to view these presentations!
Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) continuing education units (CEU’s) for this workshop have been approved by the Wisconsin CCA Board. The workshop contains 9.5 credits in nutrient management and 4 credits in soil and water management.