Francisco Arriaga, Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist, Dept. of Soil Science
The Department of Soil Science, in conjunction with University of Wisconsin-Cooperative Extension will host eight Soil, Water, & Nutrient Management Meetings around the state, starting Tuesday, November 29 through Friday, December 9. The purpose of these meetings is to provide research updates in the field of soil fertility, nutrient management, soil and water conservation, and water quality. Discussion topics will include: What’s new in nitrogen management for corn and wheat; Recurring soil fertility questions filling my inbox; Update on plant tissue analysis research; Reviewing the benefits of soil biological additives; Behold the power of legumes (as a nitrogen source); Taking care of soil compaction issues during and after a wet fall; Managing Wisconsin’s soils for improved health; Proper plant tissue sampling and result interpretations; Nutrient management update: Rule revision, plan reviews and new 590. Speakers include Wis. DATCP staff and Matt Ruark, Robert Florence, Francisco Arriaga, and Carrie Laboski from UW-Madison Department of Soil Science. The following CEUs for Certified Crop Advisers have been requested: 2 CEUs in soil & water management and 2 CEUs in nutrient management.
Each meeting will begin at 10:00 am and end at 3:00 pm. A $45.00 registration fee (which includes lunch) will be charged for the meeting. Noon meal reservations should be made with the host agent. The information packet will contain PowerPoint summaries of talks and other useful reference materials. Organizers request participants to pre-register with the host agent at least 1 week before the meeting they wish to attend.
The schedule for the 2016 Soil, Water, & Nutrient Management Meetings is:
- Tues., Nov. 29, Dane Co., Madison, Heidi Johnson, fyi.uwex.edu/danecountyag or 608-224-3716
- Wed., Nov. 30, Monroe Co., Sparta, Bill Halfman, 608-269-8722
- Thurs., Dec. 1, Eau Claire Co., Eau Claire, Mark Hagedorn, 715-839-4712
- Fri., Dec. 2, Adams Co.y, Marshfield, Richard Halopka, 715-743-5121
- Tues., Dec. 6, Sheboygan Co., Kiel, Mike Ballweg, 920-459-5904
- Wed., Dec. 7, Shawano Co., Cecil, Jamie Patton, , 715-526-6136
- Thurs., Dec. 8, Iowa Co., Dodgeville, Gene Schriefer, 608-930-9850
- Fri., Dec. 9, Dodge Co., Juneau, Loretta Ortiz-Ribbing, 920-386-3790